Maltipoo is the mix of two of the most popular breeds in the world, which are Maltese and Poodle. Due to the fact that one of their parents is a Poodle that has curly hair, it is not surprising that some Maltipoos are after their Poodle parents when it comes to the hair. Just like the original Poodle, the Maltipoos that are inherited from the Poodle parent’s side will have curly hair.
The curly hair of Maltipoo has the same or similar characteristic as Poodle’s, which are thick, luscious, and very low shedding. It can grow dense but not long. It is unlikely for the curls to part in the middle or fall to each side as they will be too tight. Unfortunately, it is known as high maintenance. Apparently, their hair tends to knot easily, which leads to matting.
After bathing the Maltipoo, you will have to use a wide tooted small comb for toy breeds to get out any unwanted tangles. In order to make sure that every part of the dog is detangled, you are suggested to work section by section.
If you really love the curls of your Maltipoo and want to keep the hair of your dog curly, you will have to air dry your dog. It is proven to be effective to keep its natural curl settled in. Just try this and see if it is true. In case you are looking for the low-dried look, try getting the hair dryer that is made specifically for dogs and use it by following the recommendations given by the manufacturer. If you are thinking of using the hairdryer for humans that you usually use instead of the one for dogs, please forget it, unless you want the skin of your dog to be burnt.
For those who have a Maltipoo with a curly coat, but you are kind of busy and have no time to brush the hair of your dog every day, it might be the best idea to give it a short haircut.
One of the most recommended haircut styles for the Maltipoo with curly hair like Poodle is a medium shave with a rounded top. Here is the photo of a Maltipoo with such a haircut style for reference:
If a medium shave with a rounded top is not your cup of tea, you might want to consider some other haircut styles that are popular among Maltipoo and Poodle owners, as follows:
- Shaggy curly: If your Maltipoo mostly spends its time at home, you might want to let its fur be long and curly. This haircut style features shorter length at the eyes. If you want, you can also trim the fur around the feet so that you can clean your dog without any difficulties.
- Fluffy legs, fluffy head: As stated before, the Maltipoo with curly hair tends to get tangled and matted easily. If this case happens to your dog, you are recommended to cut their body fur short. Feel free to leave their leg fur long and fluffy. For a cool contrast, you can also leave the fur on the top of its head.
- Little fringes: If the curly hair of your Maltipoo gets into its eyes, do not hesitate to cut it. There is a haircut style called little fringes that can make the eyes of the dog pop out.
- Soft curls: In order to make the best of the curls of your Maltipoo, it will be needed for you to let the hair long. Letting the hair long can make the curls show up. As the cut on the ears is more delicate, the ears will look like curls with soft layering.
- Curled Poodle haircut: This haircut style will allow the curls of your Maltipoo to flow freely in the wind. By having this haircut style, your dog will look like one of its parents, Poodle. Those who prefer the curly look must try this look. It looks the best in the Maltipoo with curly hair, especially the very curly one. Besides, it is also best for the one with the body of at least 1.5 inches long. Talking about this haircut style, the hair on top of the head should be about 1 inch. As for the face, it should be shaved with the ears left at least half an inch long.
- Lamb cut: This haircut style is really popular among the Poodle owners. With this look, your dog will be able to keep its hair longer. It will look gorgeous with fluffy on the ears, face, legs, and paws.
- Miami cut: This haircut style is also known as the bikini cut because the dog will look like wearing a bikini. This hairstyle is a traditional Poodle hairstyle so it will look good on the Maltipoo with curly hair. With this haircut style, your dog will look like a true Poodle with fluffy ears and head.
- Continental cut: This haircut style is best for summer. With this hairstyle, your dog will be cool and it will look like an Instagram dog model.
Which haircut style do you think is the best for your Maltipoo? Feel free to ask a groomer to do it for you or if you are confident with your skills in cutting hair, you can do it by yourself at home. The latter is recommended if you have limited money and if you want to express yourself. To be able to cut the air of your dog by yourself, make sure to prepare a few things, including a pair of professional pet grooming, shears, a brush, and scissors. If you are not confident with your skill and prefer to take your dog to a groomer, it is better for you to look for the photo of which haircut style that you want for your dog first and give it to the groomer to get the best result.